Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I'm Offended.


This cartoon appeared on the Facebook page of University College London Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society advertising a pub social. Some people found it offensive and complained to the Students' Union. The Union responded by asking the atheist society to remove the cartoon. You can read the full story here. This in turn provoked a response from many skeptics and bloggers including Richard Dawkins and PZ Myers, who came to the defence of the atheist society and free speech.
It doesn't end there. Rhys Morgan has written about the Jesus and Mo affair in his blog. If you follow the link you will see that what he has written has resulted in a flood of threats and abuse from those who feel that their religion has been affronted. For the most part those who wrote those comments are revealed to be ignorant, illiterate bullies barely capable of stringing two words together much less making a coherent  argument explaining their position. Their case seems to be, "I am offended by the cartoon. Remove it because I say so."
I am offended.
  • I am offended by their wilful ignorance and stupidity.
  • I am offended by their assumption that they are entitled to force their religious views on me.
  • I am offended by their wish to censor what I can read and what I can think.
  • I am offended by their attempts to drag this country back to the Dark Ages.
  • I am offended by their readiness to resort to threats and violence.
  • I am offended by their refusal to recognise that their behaviour is unacceptable in a modern, democratic society.
Worryingly, this sort of response doesn't seem to be unusual. A proposed talk about Sharia law and human rights had to be abandoned after threats of violence.
If anyone reading this is offended by what I have written, what follows is especially for you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment